support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Brook Mays and the big piano on the freeway are going away

I learned that Houston's Brook Mays Piano store on the Southwest Freeway between Kirby and Buffalo Speedway is supposedly shutting down.

I'm not writing this to advertise the store's big piano sale this weekend, but to talk about that big grand piano outside on the store's sign. Yes, I said a grand piano on a sign. As you can tell from the picture, it towers over Highway 59. What will happen to that famous, dare I say landmark?

I used to love passing by the piano sign as a kid in Houston. It's just as sad as when the Holder's Pest Control sign went away a few years ago.

(Image courtesy of shermanclay.com) CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here