support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How Pethouse Pets came to be

Ken Hoffman runs us through the history of his fastfood reviews and Pethouse Pets of the week columns:
When I joined the Chronicle, a boss asked if I had any ideas for new features. I said, "I've got two. How about if we review fast-food joints where everybody eats every day, in addition to the expensive restaurants where people eat maybe once or twice a year ... usually when somebody else is paying?"

My other, brighter idea was a feature where we could help find homes for unwanted dogs.

Most newspapers have a feature like this, but I don't like the way they do it. They'll usually run a little picture of the dog and something like, "Here's Buster. He's a 5-year-old beagle, and if nobody adopts him by Thursday, well, Buster buys it."

They're so boring that I don't know why people even read them. I figured there's a better way of doing a homeless dog feature.

The Chronicle tried it.

READ THE REST

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here