support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

I finally own a Nintendo Entertainment System

Forget the Nintendo Wii, what about the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)? We got one for Christmas. Why do you think blogging has been light? I've been playing the original Super Mario Brothers.

Beyond Mario, we have titles like Duck Hunt, Track and Field, The Legend of Zelda, Double Dragon 3, Robocop, Gremlins 2, Megaman 2...etc.

The funny thing is, I already know people who want to buy this system from me. Sorry, not for sale. From a quick scan of eBay, doesn't look like I could get much for one anyway. Here's the deal, I never owned one as a kid, but always wanted one. I did have an original Gameboy though. It just wasn't the same, but I liked the portability. What would my childhood self say if I told him, "Don't worry, in 20 years you'll get one of these!"

So where did we come across this gem. My wife has a very cool grandmother. She actually still plays a Sega Master System...no joke! We went to her house near Beaumont and found what looked like a museum of old game systems. The NES caught our eye. Through some investigating, we found out it is actually my wife' s console from when she was a little girl. She thought it had been sold off a long time ago.

No question, Super Mario Brothers was, no make that is a good game. In fact, even though we have an Xbox, I still am more intrigued by this game. Is it simply because I never had it as a kid and always wanted it, or is it just that good? CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here