Friday, August 28, 2015

Mayra Moreno joins KTRK abc13 from KENS 5

KENS 5 San Antonio anchor Mayra Moreno comes back to Houston at KTRK abc13

UPDATE OCTOBER 31, 2015
Mayra Moreno is new abc13 KTRK weekend morning anchor

Mayra Moreno
Mayra Moreno

A familiar face is returning to Houston TV. Former KIAH 39 MMJ Mayra Moreno is coming back to the Bayou City as an anchor/reporter at KTRK abc13.

"Years ago when I embarked on my journey to become a journalist, I always envisioned myself working for the station I grew up watching in Houston," Moreno posted on Facebook.

She leaves KENS 5 San Antonio where she has been since 2011. Moreno was hired as a reporter for the now TEGNA station, eventually being promoted to Saturday morning anchor.

Moreno started in TV at KRGV in the Rio Grande Valley.

The new KTRK anchor was born in Guanajuato, Mexico and raised in Houston. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Houston with a double major in Journalism and Spanish.

"After spending 4 years in San Antonio with KENS 5 CBS it is bittersweet," she added. "To all my loyal viewers over the years I thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to bring you the news and stories that impacted the community. I feel blessed to be given an opportunity to return home, accomplish a long-time goal and continue to do what I love."

As I wrote years ago for her switch from KIAH to KENS, I worked with Moreno in the last days of KIAH 39s news department.

Dear San Antonio,Years ago when I embarked on my journey to become a journalist...I always envisioned myself working...
Posted by Mayra Moreno on Thursday, August 27, 2015

UPDATE OCTOBER 31, 2015
Mayra Moreno is new abc13 KTRK weekend morning anchor




20 comments:

  1. My bet is that she'll be the midday anchor for KTRK, So glad that Mayra Moreno is coming back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayra is a great person! She gets it---from behind the scenes, to producing, to reporting and anchoring. That’s what makes her so great. She is truly respectful of everyone’s roles and never belittles anyone or has that “diva” attitude. She's a pleasure to work with and a true shining example that hard work and dedication do pay off.

    I’ve had the privilege of knowing Mayra for many years and wish her nothing but continued success! KTRK is lucky to have her!

    Welcome back to Houston, Mayra!

    -T

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a lifelong San Antonian, I appreciate the 4 years Mayra had at KENS 5 & will miss her a lot!

    However, I'm happy for her going back to the Bayou City!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which show will she be on? I will tune in for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet, I think she'll be anchoring the 4pm news with Erik Barajas and a weekday reporter

      Delete
  5. If she anchors the 4:00pm newscast, does that mean Ilona Carson sticks to the 10:00pm newscast ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilona Carson will still be on 10pm news

      Delete
  6. I was a fan of Mayra Moreno back in the CW39 News days before she moved on to San Antonio. It's great she's back on Houston news. So I'm pleased to learn of her return to H-Town as a fan of hers.

    johnbmarine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. She leaves KENS on September 11.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She wont start at channel 13 Houston until October.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is going to be a weekend anchor. Go to www.tvspy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV Spy article was taken from the San Antonio paper and it doesn't say anything about what time she will anchor. Get your facts straight next time. But I am guessing weekends maybe mornings.

      Delete
    2. chronicle says weekend anchor

      Delete
    3. Weekend mornings?

      Delete
  10. Mayra will be doing weekends as to which schedule that is unknown at this time. It does seem like KTRK is grooming Ilona Carson & Erik Barajas to be the main 4, 6, & 10 pm anchors when Dave Ward & Gina Gaston are longer with the station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't see Erik & Ilona doing all 3 newscasts at once: Tom Abrahams will have to get one of those spots.

      Delete
  11. Why? Ilona & Erik do the 4, the second half of 6 (but participate in the first half as well) Ilona & Gina do the 10 with Erik participating in the 10 as well. So yes Ilona & Erik are anchoring and participating in the 4,6,& 10 pm shows and I'm pretty sure Tom would've already been placed on the weekdays if they wanted him there. Seems like he's better being a weekend anchor/weeknight reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My bet is weekend morning anchor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If Mayra becomes a morning weekend anchor, will she replace Elisa Rivas or Chauncy Glover?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think Glover will leave because he just got there. Now Rivas, on the other hand, is another story, because she could get Katie McCall'd!

    ReplyDelete