Monday, May 13, 2013

Tim Melton opens up to Bob Allen about stroke and recovery (VIDEO)

Tim Melton
Tim Melton
One of the most talked about May 2013 sweeps stories (well definitely on this blog at least) aired tonight on KHOU 11.

 Bob Allen interviewed longtime friend and former KTRK abc13 colleague Tim Melton about his stroke and subsequent recovery. This is the first time we've heard from Melton in almost two years since the stroke and it's on a competing station.

Melton talks about the night the stroke happened in October 2011 at KTRK abc13 after the 5:30pm Sunday newscast and a lot more.

I found this part particularly interesting:

"I would like to return to work," says Melton. "Sometimes I say to myself that’s crazy, but it’s something that I still want to do so I still keep working towards that and I keep trying to get better."

After working side by side with him since 1981, I’ve got to think someone will want him. He’s talented, brave, one of the most decent people I’ve ever known and he’s not quitting.

Will Melton follow Allen to KHOU?




4 comments:

  1. Good to hear the update on Tim Melton. I doubt he remembers, but he was very kind to a 19-year-old KTRK-TV Sports summer intern twenty years ago. One story has stuck. When asking if I really wanted to do sports TV, he asked me how many local sports anchors/reporters were there in Houston. The answer was 12 English speaking ones at the time. Then, he got out the phone book and asked how many dentists are there? how many doctors? how many lawyers?
    It took about five years and a couple of years in TV for the lesson to stick, but I still remember his story and have used it with other people who ask about sports journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have to wonder what kind of axe Bob had to grind with KTRK management that he quits under the guise of retirement after so long, comes back to 11 then rubs this in their face. I thought letting Tim Melton go was a classless move on KTRK's behalf and in my eyes, this confirms Bob feels the same. KHOU would pull quite a media coup to hire Tim when he's ready- aside from a little slowness in his delivery, he seems as good as he needs to be to do the job. I wish him the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Melton won't be the only KTRK person to follow Bob Allen to KHOU. Kinda makes you wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew Tim a very long time ago when he was the sports reporter for WHP 21 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He was an incredible individual then and still is. A total gentleman and kind to everyone. I pray that he continues to stay positive and strong. It is who he is ..........,, an old friend. Deb O-C

    ReplyDelete