support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

First Houston TV tweet-up with KHOU 11




Back in January I wrote, "Jang will blow up the Houston media social media scene." Yeah a little redundant in a way, but you get what I mean. And now KHOU 11 anchor Lily Jang is doing what I predicted. The morning anchor is throwing the first ever Houston TV station tweet-up in a few weeks (I don't remember a TV station ever throwing one in the past at least).

"June is Men's Health Awareness Month," Jang told mikemcguff.com. "KHOU is proud to partner with Hotel ZaZa to benefit Blue Cure Foundation. Our social media audience is just as important as our TV audience and this is another way for us to thank you and continue being a Houston news leader."

There will be a red carpet event where attendees can mingle with KHOU 11 news personalities like Jang, Lisa Hernandez, Gene Norman, Shern-Min Chow, Vicente Arenas, Malini Basu, Andrew Horansky, Courtney Zubowski and more. Staff members of CultureMap will be there teaming up with the KHOU folks, too.

Jang, who tweets at @KHOULily, has more than 20,000 followers (here is her Facebook account). She has to be one of the most followed - if not the most followed - person in Houston TV. I asked her how she pulls in those high numbers.

"I don't really have a secret," Jang told me. "I love meeting viewers in person and social media is just another way of fostering these relationships. I follow everyone who follows me and I'm accessible. I post breaking news, but I also post pictures, engage, interact, ask for opinions and give people a behind-the-scenes look at my job and my life. Who I am on Twitter and Facebook is who I am in real life. It's about being genuine."

Back to the tweet-up, 100% of the event proceeds will benefit the Blue Cure Foundation to raise awareness for prostate cancer.
WHEN: Friday, June 15, 2012
TIME: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.
WHERE: Hotel ZaZa
5701 Main Street
Houston, Texas 77030

Organizers ask that you tweet using hashtag #KHOU4BlueCure during the event.

More info at bluecure.com and KHOU.
CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here