Wednesday, January 18, 2012
- Notice Anything Unusual on the 'Good Morning America' Weather Report? (thanks Will-E)
- C-SPAN Getting Hammered With Prank Calls About Mitt Romney
- Jon Stewart Rips CNN's 'Early Start' Wake 'Em Up Calls
- 'Target ... Austin, Texas' is the Bomb
- Anchor Wendy Burch Wears Batgirl Costume During KTLA Newscast
- Did Yugoslav space technology sold by Tito put America in space?
ABC-13 faces critical ratings period without Dave Ward as he recovers from fall
Viewers flooded ABC-13’s website Tuesday with well wishes for the recovery of news mainstay Dave Ward, while the station faced an impending ratings period without a star anchor.
- KTRK 13's Dave Ward falls, will be off news desk
Oops! KUSA’s Drew Soicher Says On Twitter He’s Going to KDFW, Then Takes It Back
A series of tweets over the last week has left KUSA sports anchor Drew Soicher with some explaining to do and now he says he owes Fox 4 KDFW sports director, Mike Doocy, a phone call.
Mary Benton, TV news reporter
Mary Benton is a TV news reporter with KPRC Channel 2 in Houston. “It was my calling to be a journalist,” Benton says of her career choice in this profile.
Behind enemy lines
Anchor Erik Barajas of KTRK 13 Houston joined The Vinny and Kenny Show on CBS radio at Sports Radio 105.7 WJZ-FM in Baltimore.
Wrapping up bowl ratings
Let’s run through some numbers for Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin for the BCS final and other college football bowl games.
- Texans-Ravens game sets TV audience record
UH School of Theatre & Dance Lending Talents to CBS' '48 Hours'
Alums, students and staff assisting with set construction, lighting and projections. The episode will air this Saturday, Jan. 21 on CBS. PREVIEW HERE
Photog blogger Turdpolisher writes first novel
Rick Portier (aka photog blogger Turdpolisher from the past) has polished off his first novel, Shooter in the Crosshairs. It's about a photog who nearly killed his own career and is trying to climb back into the game. He's stuck in small-market hell with a fresh-from-J-School reporter, and a despotic news director.
- Top Ten Signs You're Using Too Many Lights on Your Live Shot...
Nick and Artie Show jumped out of the gate in 2012
Artie Lange, best known for his work on MADtv and The Howard Stern Show and Nick DiPaolo picked up by KILT-AM Sprts Radio 610 in Houston.
Southbound Food returns to Houston market on NewsRadio 740 KTRH
Southbound Food debuts on a new station, NewsRadio 740 – KTRH Saturday, Jan. 14.
'The Prison Show' Helps Texas Inmates Find Escape
The Prison Show has been trying for decades to relieve the harshness of the Texas penal system, which leads the country in executions and has the largest prison population of any state. The show broadcasts from KPFT in Houston, a nonprofit Pacifica Network radio station based in an old house near the city's downtown.
Social Embed Makes Houston News Stickier
Belo's KHOU in Houston has embedded Facebook and Twitter features into its iPad news app, giving users a full mobile social media experience and enticing them to stay with the app much longer than the average three-minute visit.
- Facebook commenting coming to KHOU.com
KXAN’s Jim Swift Still Spinning Yarns After 34 Years
Austin TV news has reporters of all shapes and sizes and skill sets. KXAN-TV’s Jim Swift is more than a reporter. He’s a story teller. And he’s been doing it for 34 years.
New KVUE Crime & Courts Reporter Returns Home to Texas
KVUE-TV’s newest reporter is a native Houstonian happy to be back in Texas. Jessica Holloway, 27, is covering the police and courts beat.
New KVET morning show debuts
nne Hudson, who works evenings at sister station KASE 101, will team up with “The Roadhouse” host Chris Mosser weekdays from 5 to 10 a.m.
They replace longtime KVET-FM host Bob Cole, who departed the station last month after 20 years on the air.
Documentary covers KTRH host
Documentary "Vox Pop: The Story of Parks Johnson" tells tale of former 740 KTRH host who was behind the microphone during World War II.
Houston, We Have a Problem: Let's Talk Radio in Houston
Why aren't there more Black radio stations in Houston?
Former local news anchor dies at 66
Merrell Gregory, one of the first female TV news anchors in El Paso, died of cancer Friday in Asheville, N.C. She was 66.
KIAH dumps Universal Sports
Universal Sports has disappeared from the air on KIAH's (Channel 39) 39.3 over-the-air signal and from channel 319 on Comcast.
'Texas Trib' Ropes In Funds and Readers
Surpasses Evan Smith's expectations
Belo Promotes Valentine and Weir
Belo Corp. announced today that Michael Valentine has been named vice president/Content. In this newly created role, Valentine will direct news content strategies across multiple platforms for the Company's 15 television markets. He will also help explore additional digital opportunities for new and existing content. Belo also announced the promotion of Joe Weir to vice president/Digital. In this role, Joe will continue his interactive leadership for the Company as well as lead Belo's future digital initiatives and new product launches.
KTMD Houston Names McAlone Sales VP
Former Univision account exec Michael McAlone is tapped to lead sales efforts at Telemundo's Houston O&O.
Craig James Debuts in Senate Debate
Former ESPN broadcaster and SMU star running back Craig James, a candidate for U.S. Senate in Texas, made his debut in the first major Republican debate on Thursday in Austin, TX.
The Live Well Network Adds Two New Shows to Winter Schedule
The Live Well Network (airing on .2 channels like KTRK 13.2 and WFAA 8.3), announces the January 14 premiere of "My Family Recipe Rocks!" hosted by TV personality, actor and former *NSYNC star Joey Fatone, and "We Owe What?" hosted by award-winning financial expert Mary Caraccioli.
KRIS Files Complaint with FCC against Time Warner
KRIS Communications filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission in Washington DC.
- Ex-announcer Franklin settles lawsuit against ESPN
- Real-Life The Hangover Destroys Weather Man’s Life
- CNN's Dana Bash Targeted By Ron Paul Super PAC
- Clear Channel Radio Is Rebranded As Clear Channel Media and Entertainment
- YouTube turns pro
- Video ads are generating billions of dollars, but not for news organizations
- Comcast rolls out live TV streams to subscribers' iPads
- Enquirer Designs an App for Gossip
- How Google+ Hangouts will transform traditional TV broadcasting
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- KHOU 11 puts Lily Jang in mornings from KCPQ Q13 Seattle
- KUHT 8's InnerVIEWS with Ernie Manouse back and nationwide
- KPRC 2 anchors use tablet for scripts on air
- KCOH owner Michael Petrizzo passes away
- Houston WikiLeaks debate for for journalists lawyers and others 1/28/2012
- KTRK 13 moves anchors to newsroom for a night?
- KTRK 13's Art Rascon's son Jacob to KNBC Los Angeles
- KHOU 11's Mark Greenblatt joins ABC News