Monday, January 30, 2012

Fox 26 KRIV assistant ND Carolyn Mungo leaves station

UPDATE
Carolyn Mungo named news director at WFAA channel 8 Dallas

It was in 2005, that Carolyn Mungo left the glitz and glamour of the Houston TV reporting world an entered the rough and tumble, often political world of TV news management. (That's enough of my noir writing experiment.)

Simply put, Mungo was a reporter at KHOU 11 and moved over to Fox 26 KRIV to be the managing editor about seven years go. In 2009, she ascended to the assistant news director role at the Fox owned and operated station.

I was alerted last Friday that it was Mungo's last day at KRIV.

"I can say I am very excited about my future," Mungo mysteriously told mikemcguff.com.

While Mungo is remaining mum for now, sources tell me her contract and non-compete were up and she is moving on from KRIV. To where, I don't know yet, but I understand she has several opportunities out there.

According to her old channel 11 bio, Mungo started at KHOU in 1999 and picked up a ton of awards while there such as 12+ Emmys, the Texas Associated Press' "reporter of the year" in 2001, a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for best documentary and two Gold World Medals from the New York Film Festival. It says she began her career in Austin and worked in Minneapolis and Phoenix before moving to Houston.

UPDATE
Carolyn Mungo named news director at WFAA channel 8 Dallas


9 comments:

  1. Carolyn was such a joy to work with when she was a reporter. Her accuracy and intergrity were above-reproach. I recall that I spoke to her when she was making the move back in 2005, and I knew she would be successful in her new venture. Here's wishing her luck in whatever endeavors may come her way, and undoubtedly she'll do very well in whatever she does!

    Greg Gilleland

    ReplyDelete
  2. She may have been a good reporter but she is an exceptionally poor manager, who was in over her head at KRIV, made no friends and deserved no respect. The woman is socially awkward and does not know how to get staff to perform at optimum levels or meet a goal. What she did to Patty Shea and some other people at fox still disgusts me. She should stick to reporting, because when she manages...ratings and morale take a nosedive.

    KRIV Staffer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't say enough good things about Mungo and wish her the very best. I'm guessing that KRIV Staffer is an EX staffer ... who doesn't even know how to spell Pattie Shieh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with KRIV staffer. Glad to see her shown the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Conflicting views of a newsroom manager? Such is life in TV news. Carolyn is a true type "A" with all the positive and negative traits that go with it. On balance, I give her a thumbs up. I adore Shieh and wish she hadn't been shown the door. The decision to let her go was made above Mungo's pay grade. Mungo just had to do most of the managerial dirty work to carry out the decision. She's not a great manager, but I'd rank her well above average. After working with too many managers who had little or no field experience, Carolyn was a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If treating people poorly is the mark of a good manager, I'd have to give Mungo two thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless she's the one who brought in Mr Ed Bomke, I'm cool with her. After all, she kept Isiah Carey from dropping any more f bombs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mungo wasn't "shown the door."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mungo probably has more prestigious awards than any news manager in Houston. She knows her stuff. People need to get with the program.

    ReplyDelete

AD