Clearly News 92 FM is challenging longtime Houston station NewsRadio 740 KTRH in its promos. AM Operations Manager and KTRH Program Director Bryan Erickson sent mikemcguff.com these comments about News 92's inaugural broadcast:
"From what I heard (it was tough to pick up north of the Loop), I was surprised to hear so little local news content. They do have slick promos; I actually heard more of those than I did local news coverage. I got a kick out of several of their promos, especially the “we cover more local news than other stations” promos. In one hour this morning I counted 8 local stories in their newscasts while in that same hour we did more than 20. I guess their “No Spin” phrase doesn’t apply to everything they’re doing.
I was also surprised to hear a talk show in the 9a hour after weeks of hearing this was going to be an all news station.
There’s obviously a clear difference between our two stations – We have a strong commitment to local news coverage and compelling talk and they’re still trying to figure out what they want to be."
- News 92 FM KROI is on the air (1st hour local audio included)
- 740 KTRH issues statement on its heritage and News 92FM KROI
- KTRK 13's Ed Brandon on 24 hour news radio in Houston
- News 92 FM KROI's launch delayed, plus more details
- Houston getting News 92 FM - 24 hour radio news
- New News92 FM, Houston's biggest radio secret emerges
- Why News 92 is taking over Praise 92.1 + backlash