Monday, November 30, 2009

610 KILT's Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler are new 790 KBME morning show


Here is an update to what I blogged about last week. I just got off the phone with Clear Channel Houston AM operations director (and 740 KTRH host) Michael Berry about the new 790 KBME Sports Animal hires.

We all kind of knew that 610 KILT hosts Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler were leaving for 790 KBME last week. Now Berry has confirmed to me that the two will be the new morning show hosts for The Sports Animal from 6 to 10am.

Berry says he believes both Jackson and Wexler sound like two good friends you might overhear at a bar arguing about sports. They aren't afraid to call each other out and know their stuff. He says the duo are very natural at what they do.

So what does that mean for current morning show host Ted DeLuca? Berry tells the mikemcguff.com blog that DeLuca will move to the 790 KBME middays slot and could also work on other sports related duties.

The new schedule starts this coming Monday.

All of these changes at CBS Houston are making some 610 KILT listeners a little nervous. This anonymous comment came in on my last week Jackson/Wexler post:

If your a 610 fan it has got to be a little troubling that they have lost in 6 months, Andre Ware, Adam clayton, and now Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler. Listeners dont like change. Did 610 get a new program director that has been a major pain? It sucked losing Dre and Adam, especially Adam, it seemed like they were giving him more space and leeway and it was positive. Maybe they thought he was to much of a Rome wannabe. I like Wex, and Matt Jackson can be good but also annoying at times. Really makes you wonder about 610 though.

The answer is that there is new management for the original sports station in town and changes have no doubt been made.

6 comments:

  1. Im a 610 listener and I just wanted to chime in a bit. Yeah it sucks losing a couple of the personalities that they have over the last few months. Personally I loved Vandemeer with Dre in the mornings. I can do without Adam Clanton in the mornings because personally I thought he was only one dimentional in talking about the Rockets and approached it more from a fan perspective and thats not what I want to hear. As for Wexler I just couldnt get him at all...actually I would just change the station when I heard his voice thats how annoying he was to me. Matt I will miss more. I thought he brought something along side Rich Lord that made their show pop and although he could be annoying he was insightful and knew alot more of what he was talking about when it came right down to it then alot of the other host. Sorry to see ya go Matt but I'll stick to 610..its all business not personal LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a 610 listener of about 3 years. I love dre and thought him leaving was his call, if it wasnt that was a big mistake for the new 610 leadership. Now they have some weird guy that came over from the monsters of the midday, he sucked there, and now he is bringing down vadermir's show. Matt Jackson is my favorite of all the guys from 610 and him leaving is the final draw. I am going over to 790. Even though I will of course be back for my longhorns and my texans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam Wexler sucks, I usually just change channel whenever I hear his voice. I think the problem is that he talked too much and rarely give his co-host chances to chip in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 610 hasn't been any good for years. If it wasn't for The Jim Rome show and Longhorn, Texans, and Rockets broadcasts, no one would listen. 1560am is the new big dog. John Granato and Lance Zierlein are head and shoulders more entertaining and light years ahead of Vandermeer and his bunch at 610. The 3 o'clock show of John Harris and "the Cablanasian" blows Rich Lord outta the water. Ratings don't lie. 1560 is just better. Hook 'em Horns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been listening to 610 and remember the day John an Lance replaced Ed Fowler and his partner (whose name escapes me at the moment). I think losing John and Lance was the big loss - the rest, I don't know. I wasn't listening to 790, and their adding Matt Jackson virtually guarantees I will not listen in the morning. For all the guys poached by 790, they've lost guys too. And their shows have been BAD. Craig Roberts as a replacement for Carl Dukes? Blech. 790 is desperate. They were sure poaching Charlie Palillo to start the station would give it instant credibility - it didn't. It thought Carl Dukes and Brad Davies in the morning would give them a credible morning show - it didn't. The Monsters of the Midday? Flop. So now Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler = ratings? Doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cream of Bacon1/12/2010 03:57:00 PM

    It's a shame that all of my favorite talent has left 610. They have had my focus for the past 4 years every weekday from 9am until 5pm, but I am refocusing my sports talk dial to 790 for good now. With the departure of Matt Jackson from 610, there is simply nobody worth listening to except Vandermeer. I absolutely cannot stand Rich Lord. If I hear another outdated music reference or movie plot spoiler from that guy's face hole, I'm gonna have a stroke. I would rather watch Frank Reich carve up the '93 Oilers for 10 hours straight rather than listen to 1 hour of that guys drivel.

    ReplyDelete

AD