support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Coldplay Houston review (7/22/2009)

No one can believe I like Coldplay, but yes I do. And I went to see them last night at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion near Houston.

It was a great show.

Coldplay is a band full of hits. Chris Martin can sing live. He can hold the notes plus dance wildly around the stage. The band sounds tight. Will Champion really hits the drums hard. My friends and I agreed it was great how one of the biggest bands in the world right now carelessly walked through the (what looked like a sold out) audience to play on two separate smaller stages. One of the songs they performed on those smaller stages was an acoustic Billie Jean.

I have to also comment on the new Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. I had posted a story on abc13.com a few months ago about the post-Hurricane Ike reconstruction project there. The concert venue took quite the beating last September from the storm. While in the rebuilding phase, the operators decided to make some upgrades. Boy did they. More reserved seating with nice views of the stage, huge HD screens, more giant wind turbine like fans (important on Houston summer nights). I think you will notice a difference. The sound was very good too.

The last great thing that happened...on the way out we were handed a free copy of Coldplay's new live EP LeftRightLeftRightLeft. You can download it free here.

RELATED
Watch videos from the Houston show (7/22/09) CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here