The big news just came in today. CBS is swapping stations with Clear Channel as per a Department of Justice order . That means the two mega radio companies swap 5 mid-sizedl market stations and 2 major market ones. Those major market ones are Houston's 101.1 KLOL and Mix 96.5 KHMX.
I talked with former Mix 96.5 KHMX morning show host Sam Malone this morning about the swap.
Malone says CBS is a well established company. He was surprised that Clear Channel swapped the stations instead of selling them especially since they are heritage stations. It shows him what a soft market it is right now.
And the big statement Malone game me today is he will be back in radio.
I think the swap is very good news for the radio listening public. CBS owns 100.3 KILT, Hot 95.7 KKHH, Sports Radio 610 KILT and 650 KIKK in Houston. Will CBS bring rock back to 101.1 KLOL? The company is no stranger to the rock format.
- KHMX and KLOL under new ownership
- KLOL And Mix 96 Get A New Owner
- CBS Radio, Clear Channel in radio station swap
- CBS & Clear Channel Trade Stations
- CBS RADIO to Swap Five Mid-Size Market Stations for Two Large Market Stations With Clear Channel Communications