support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, December 14, 2007

Mike McGuff hangs with David Beckham and Bill Murray

Last week at this time I was in Los Angeles. You notice there were no videos, pictures, blog posts or multimedia of any kind. Even I need a break sometimes.

It was a great trip. Last Thursday night we ate at sushi hot spot Katana on Sunset. After ordering a bunch of food, some famous patrons entered our area. It was David and Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham. They were with a bunch of people, but not Tom and Katie Cruise.

Other patrons were not afraid to outright stare at the Beckham group. Especially the female fans. I kept trying to turn around and catch a glimpse of Posh Spice, but someone was always in the way. When I got up to leave, I certainly took a slow walk by to see her. She looks pretty much the same as she does in the media. That night she was a brunette. My friend who was there with me says she thought David was as good looking as he is in pictures.

The couple had two big body guards in tow. When David Beckham got up to use the restroom, my friend told me to follow him in there. I refused. That would be weird.

The next day on Friday, it was raining off and on so we went inside to the Beverly Center. In Bloomingdales we saw Bill Murray! He was right by us. My friend says she thought he was with Linda Cardellini who is an actress on ER. I don't watch the show and didn't recognize her so I am not sure if that was her or not.

Bill Murray did not look approachable, but he did look bored. It appears they had an assistant that he would talk with from time to time. It probably made him look less approachable to fans. Here is a guy I would like to talk with. Heck, I was just in the Tokyo hotel he shot Lost in Translation in just a few weeks ago. That's a conversation starter if I ever heard of one.

Here is where I am disappointed in myself. I had my Flip Video on me and did not use it. My wife says that was a good thing and I should respect Murray's (or any celebrity's) privacy. The blogger in me feels differently, but what could I have really done? Run up to him rolling video? I'm sure I would have had a more interesting story for you as I was kicked out of the mall. Been there done that. As teens we had an affinity for shooting in The Galleria. Back then, mall security wasn't so much for that. I was "banned" by a security guard for a year.

What should I have done? Used The Flip video camera? Or respect a star's privacy? CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here