support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, July 09, 2007

Astroworld is the new slum land?

BlogHOUSTON posted an article about the problems concerning the old Astroworld land. You know, that big eyesore that sits over on 610 across from Reliant Park? Maybe I should call it that sinking feeling in Houstonian's stomachs as they drive by and remember what was.

From the Chronicle:
For many Houstonians, AstroWorld was a place of fun and memories. Now, the 104 acres that once were home to the Serial Thriller, the Dungeon Drop and the Texas Cyclone have been replaced with 3-foot weeds, grass and unkempt shrubbery.
This week, the city gave the owners 30 days to clean up the former AstroWorld location or possibly face fines up to $1,500 as well as a cleanup bill.
Angel-McIver Interests, a Conroe-based land development company, bought the site for $77 million in 2005 from Six Flags Inc. when the property value rose and attendance began declining.
"It's been too wet to mow," said Michael McIver, president of Angel-McIver. "As soon as the weather clears up, we will mow it." He added that the property has been mowed twice since his company bought it.
READ THE REST
I find it funny when I see a Six Flags over Texas ad or press release. Does Six Flags really think Houstonians will drive up to Arlington and say, 'Geez, you shut down our park, but I can't wait to drive four hours and pay to come to the Metroplex park!!!!'" I'm thinking no.

Ever since Astroworld was let go to the point of shutting it down, I've said on this very blog that I can see Tillman Fertitta stepping up and opening a new park. Over at TBIFOC, a post only made me feel better about my prediction.

Fertitta is building a wooden roller coaster in Kemah. Sure it's making area homeowners mad, but I'm thinking selfishly as a coaster enthusiast right now. I hope this coaster is equal to the Texas Cyclone.

Further more, I hope this is Fertitta testing the waters for a Houston amusement park. If anyone in town can do it, it's him. And no I don't get invited to his parties.


CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here