support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, March 19, 2007

What happened to Matt Lavine formerly of Fox 26?

Since I posted about Matt Lavine signing off Fox 26 KRIV, lots of folks have come by here looking for more information on him. So let's go to the source, here's the mikemcguff interview with Matt Lavine.

mikemcguff: Why did you leave Fox 26?

Matt Lavine: I decided to comment on your blog about my status with Fox 26 because the powers that be at KRIV have not told the viewers a thing about my departure. Simply put, Fox decided not pick up my option for the second year of my contract. I can take satisfaction in knowing that my show, Fox News 8am, was number one in the November book and that I went out on top. As for why I was let go, I have no idea. I really miss my morning comrades, and I wish them the best.

mm: Give us a brief work history.

ml: I have been with Fox 26 since March of 1990. When I first started there, I was assigned to do weather for Fox News 12:30 with Mike Barajas and Linda Cheek, and I would also report for Fox News @ Nine. Then in 1994, we began Fox News 7am which over time has become the
four hour morning newscast you see today. Jose, Linda and I were the original anchors for Fox 26 morning news, and now Jose is the only
original anchor left.

mm: What do you like about doing weather for television?

ml: I loved my morning weather gig because it gave me the leeway to have fun with my co-anchors and the viewers. Jan, Jose and I had the best time working together, and we would constantly make each other laugh. I also had the distinction of being the only weathercaster to
broadcast in the elements from the roof of Fox 26, and I even had my own weather jingle which was written and performed by reporter Ned Hibberd...morning weather, rain or shine, you're on the roof with Matt Lavine." We used that jingle for more than 15 years!

mm: You not only did weather, but also served in an entertainment capacity. How did that come about and did you enjoy that?

ml: I've always worn many hats at Fox 26, and I loved the fact that I wasn't locked into weather. When Kathy Williams (news director) suggested sending me to L.A. for "American Idol," I jumped at the chance. I also reported from the set of "Star Trek:Enterprise" (with a
walk-on role), did "Fix it Fridays" and "Garden Gang Wednesday's", "Matt's Cool Cars", "Houston Idol" and "Fox Rox Fridays." I loved the fact I could be both a weathercaster and a feature personality.

mm: What suggestions do you have for future TV meteorologists?

ml: As for future tv meteorologists, all I can say is the future is very exciting. Technology enables us to do so much more than we could do a few years ago, and I can only imagine the possibilities a few years from now. Know your science and your math and try to have fun when
delivering your weather forecast.

mm: What do you plan to do next?

ml: As for me, I have two baby girls who need their daddy...so for the time being, I'll be the best dad I can be!

mm: Anything else you want to add?

ml: Once again, I want to thank all the viewers who called, e-mailed or blogged about me. It really means a lot to know so many people cared. I miss you all!!!

Good luck to Matt in the future.

(Image courtesy Matt's web site)

See more mikemcguff media interviews.
CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here