support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Houston TV anchor sampled by U2

Who knew that every morning when you tune into Channel 13 that anchor Minerva Perez is an international recording star...sort of.

The other night I bought U2's Desire (Hollywood Remix) from iTunes. I put on the old headphones and started to listen. This remixed version features news anchors reading the day's violent news.

Now we know these are actually real TV newscasts that have been sampled. That's because one of the voices was one I hear everyday - Minerva Perez! She was working in Los Angeles at KTLA-TV at the time. She told me she did not receive a cut for her voice.

Back in the 80s, sampling was the wild wild west of recording. These days intellectual property is a hot topic and it's doubtful U2 or anyone else could get away with this.

I isolated her sample and made a quick mp3 file out of it for everyone to hear. It was a big hit. I'd love to post it on this blog, but I'm not sure I could get away with it like Bono and the boys did all those years ago. If you want to hear it, the sample hits :29 seconds into the song, but remember, it is only in the Desire (Hollywood Remix). CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here