support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Is KHOU 11 rebuilding or moving?


Maybe I was a little premature with my post KHOU begins studio rebuild process.

After the TEGNA station evacuated its building during Hurricane Harvey, we saw through a Facebook post that a restoration company was working the flooded studio.

Now for the update.

Recently on his Facebook page, KHOU 11 meteorologist Brooks Garner was asked on the status of the building:

What is the latest on the Allen Parkway studios?

Brooks Garner, Meteorologist KHOU 11: We [are] scoping a new spot to call home. No other updates. Thanks for asking!

So there you go.

I asked KHOU 11 about this possible new location search and a representative told me they will be in touch when there is something to announce.

The whole studio thing is probably a fluid situation.

One thing I've noticed about post Harvey restoration is that these flooded structures have to be evaluated and then a determination is made if you restore or rebuild. Even if the building can be restored, the company might not feel its worth staying at its long time location.

Stay tuned.

In the meantime, the station has done a great job working from the Houston Public Media studios. From what I understand, the station is still working with sister-station WFAA in Dallas to get the news to us each day.

NOVEMBER 16, 2017
KHOU officially moving thanks to Harvey
Looks like we were on to something...


UPDATE 10/27/2017

Brooks Garner wrote in with this clarification:

I appreciate the shout-out! However, I've got to clarify that I actually do not know where KHOU will call home permanently. I never did. When I said, "We scoping out a new spot to call home", I intended to convey that KHOU will not be permanently broadcasting from here at KUHT. It was a rushed reply on a very busy morning. (My poor grammar in saying, "we" instead of, "we are" is confirmation of that.) I can see how in the context of the question, it read that I was affirmatively stating, "we will not be returning" [to our former studios]. While I still do not know where we'll end up (whether it's at 1945 Allen Parkway or somewhere else), I can assure you that our mangers are working tirelessly to get us permanently situated. For their extraordinary efforts, we are quite thankful. Please do not hesitate to email me first, should you come across anything in the future for which you may seek further clarification.




CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here