Monday, October 17, 2016

Kitirik returns to Houston!

She doesn't wear a black cat costume anymore, but Kitirik brought good luck to children for decades

 photo kitirik1_zps3v7s9wwj.jpg
Dan Lovett with Kitirik (aka Bunny Orsak)

Last week, the childhood icon of many children watching KTRK channel 13 for decades, Kitirik, came to Houston for a visit.

"She came in from her home in New Mexico to join several of us old geezers from channel 13 days when she had her show on the station from 1954 to 1971," former KTRK sports anchor Dan Lovett told mikemcguff.com. "She was kind enough to have pics taken with [Dave] Ward and me."

Lovett says Kitirik, aka Bunny Orsak in real life, who used to don the black cat costume is now in her 80s, "but still the grand gal she always was back in the day."

Speaking of KTRK children show legends, when I worked at the station I got a chance to interview Cadet Don. His real name is Al Eisenmann. He now writes books.

Speaking of books, check out Lovett's great auto-biography Anybody Seen Dan Lovett?: Memoirs of a Media Nomad.

 photo kitirik2_zpsyrvotaqm.jpg




20 comments:

  1. Awesome. I sure remember Kitirik's Carousel. Cadet Don, too. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched her every time she came on. She was so cute and sweet as she can be. She still is as pretty and has her cute shape too. I enjoyed seeing this segment about Kitirik!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good gosh, I haven't thought about her in literally over 50 years. I was on her show for my 6th birthday and just missed getting the golden egg. Ruined my birthday ... LOL! What a great story by Channel 13. Loved reading this and watching the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when she made an appearance in our local parade in my hometown of Liberty, Texas! That was a BIG deal for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes she did and me and my brothers got pictures with her. Liberty tx

      Delete
    2. Awww. Beautiful memories. Innocent days.

      Delete
  5. Love you Kitiric. The original hottie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tied your tail in a knot back in 65-66.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anybody remember Mr. Caboose?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the envelope from Cadet Don where he sent me a record for sending in a joke. Don't remember what the record was, or the joke!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What happened to the Mary Jane show ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived by her when I was young off of Conrad Sauer. Sometimes I would get a ride to school with herr and a policeman we knew ��

    ReplyDelete
  11. She came to our elementary for our Halloween Carnival. We Still had those back then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remember the standard kid answer on the carousel to "what is your favorite food?" "baSketti"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got hot coffee spit on me when she asked the little girl why she was laughing.... do you remember Leroy???? Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no. The Leroy incident was on Cowboy John out of Beaumont.

      Delete
  14. WOW! What wonderful memories I have as a kid watching her, Cadet Don, Mr Green Jeans & Captain Kangaroo. I loved the carousel! I saw Kitirik several times in person & adored her. I even had my birthday announced on the air (which was a big deal back then!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does anyone remember Kitty's Corner, with Kitty Borah? My mother sent my name and birthday for her to read on air - which she did! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took my oldest daughter to see her on her b/d. My daughter is now 61 yeas old. I cant believe Kitirik is my age, pretty lady

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes she was the original Hottie........such a nice lady.

    ReplyDelete