support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, April 18, 2016

VIDEO: Houston Post closure coverage - April 18, 1995

The Final Edition


Twenty years ago, I learned some shocking news as I was driving my mom's Ford Taurus from Lamar High School to KTRK abc13 where I was interning (they let high schoolers intern back then believe it or not).

As any good KTRK intern would tell you back then, you were supposed to tune into 740 KTRH on the way into work so you could stay caught up on the news. There I heard the report...the Houston Post was no more. Naturally I got into the station as fast as I could, reported to the assignments desk and told them what I heard on the radio.

They just looked at me like I was an idiot, but come on, I was 17 at the time. Do you expect a dumb teen to realize they had probably broken the news or at least already cut into the soap operas with a report? I was just trying to earn good intern points.

The next day, this would happen.

Now of course, the Houston Post is alive again...well at least its building is, as the Houston Chronicle crew moved in earlier this year.

RELATED
- Houston Chronicle leaves downtown for redone Post building
- AUDIO: Houston Chronicle's 100 years in downtown





CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here