support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Richmond Strip in Houston not dead yet

 


My Friday story for KIAH 39 News was about Houston's Richmond Strip. Yes it isn't as popular as it used to be, but don't call it dead just yet I found. The story gave me a chance to sneak into the Houston Press building in downtown Houston and meet staff writer John Nova Lomax. Yeah, the Press is glossy too. SEE FULL STORY

Interesting item I heard while shooting the story. Remember the giant saxophone sculpture in front of the old Billy Blues club? That place is now The Horn and one of the new owners told me the city of Austin wanted to buy that saxophone for almost $2 million. Turns out the artist who built it was from Austin and recently passed away. Austin wanted to take the sculpture back and make it a tribute piece.

RELATED
My Saturday night story was on October travel deals. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here