Friday, September 03, 2010

KHOU 11 meteorologist Dan Meador loses cancer battle

Sad news to report tonight. Former KHOU 11 meteorologist Dan Meador passed away after losing a battle to cancer. He was 59 years old.  I always heard good things about Meador.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. Here is the notice that was emailed to me tonight from those close to him:

Dan Meador passed away this evening, September 3, 2010 at approximately 8:00 PM.

For those of you who may not be aware, Dan was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. Being a very private person, Dan told only a few close family and friends, and those of us who were close to Dan did our best to respect his wishes.

Dan made the personal decision to forego traditional treatment for his cancer, and live his remaining days to the fullest. I am proud to say he did so, as he did every day of his life.

Dan departed surrounded by the love of his close friends and countless members of our community. Whether through his music, his on-air personality, or simply his smile, Dan brought joy to everyone who met him. He will be greatly missed.

Arrangements for a celebration of Dan's life are pending. The details will be communicated as soon as they are finalized. Peace and love be with you all.

UPDATE
Dontryl sent me this video of Dan Meador doing a weather update in 1991:




RELATED
Channel 11 coverage

7 comments:

  1. GOD bless you Dan and may your family understand that you have alot of people thats loved him and apprecated his talent. May you rest in peace Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    I was looking online for weekend events and saw
    KHOU... weather update and something about
    time line for rain.. so I went there.. and saw...
    the headlines Dan Meador loses cancer battle...

    I called my friends who followed Dan through his KHOU years.. we read his blog and then when he was let go...

    Then just as fast, his blog was closed up I followed the updates from Your Blog!

    I googled Dan's name and saw you had a post about
    his death....

    OMG.. what a wonderful person Dan was... when you logged into his blog.. he was so much fun to know
    this way... discussing anything and everything at his weather blog!

    I can't believe what I am reading!!!

    Thanks for posting the story!

    Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked with Dan throughout much of the 90's. He was one of the nicest, gentlest men I've known. He contributed 10X as much behind the scenes at KHOU during the Neil Frank years than anyone outside of the station would ever realized. Dan was a class act. RIP, Dan.

    BA

    ReplyDelete
  5. KHOU's coverage Friday night was laughable at best. While I give them credit for even mentioning it considering he no longer worked there, it was painfully clear no one on the desk even knew who he was. Just look at the quote from Gene Norman that's in the KHOU.com story -- along the lines of, 'I barely knew him but ... '

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ijust found this completely by accident, and am absolutely so sad to hear this news.

    Though it's been many years, I'll always remember how big-hearted he was. Just a wonderful, wonderful man.

    Rest in peace, Dan.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is truly sad and shocking to hear of Dan's passing. I knew Dan through mutual friends in Dallas for over 15 years. Everytime I was around Dan he made me smile and always encouraged those he knew to be the best they could be.

    Dan was a class act, and a true friend to those who knew him personally. I hope he finds peace and rest now. God bless you, Dan. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete