support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Houston Municipal Employees Pension System executive director David Long retires

It has come to my attention that David Long, executive director of the Houston Municipal Employees Pension System (HMEPS) is retiring February 28. Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere else.

“It has been a great honor serving as Executive Director of HMEPS. I want to thank every
HMEPS staff member and the board of trustees for all the work they have done and will continue
to do to protect the retirement security of the City’s hard-working municipal employees,” Long
said in a statement. “While I am looking forward to my new life as a retiree, I will miss the people at HMEPS. But I know they will continue to act in the best interests of our participants.”

It has been known that Long often had a contentious relationship with Mayor White as can be seen from some of Matt Stile's old reporting in 2007 here and here.

Long started his city of Houston tenure in 1979 in the city's finance and administration department. He became HMEPS executive director in 1993. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here