support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, January 04, 2010

Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale vs Muhammad Ali

Yes Houston fixture Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale of the iconic Gallery Furniture confirmed to The Chronicle's Ken Hoffman that he did indeed go a few rounds with boxing legend Muhammad Ali:


A boxing ring was set up in the middle of the main room. Ali was to spar a few rounds with local heavyweights.

“These local guys were trying to tear Ali's head off, but he was just playing with them,” McIngvale said. “Ali was the greatest of all time, and these guys thought they could make a name for themselves if they got some shots in. They never touched him.

“When he was done with those guys, he got on the microphone and asked if anybody in the crowd wanted to fight him. He was clowning around, but I raised my hand and said, ‘I'll fight you.' I had done a little Golden Gloves boxing in my day. I was in pretty good shape. I weighed about 190 pounds back then.”

Ali looked at McIngvale and announced, “Here comes the Great White Hope!” READ IT

(Image courtesy of StealthMarketer) CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here