support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A 3.2 mega pixel camera is burning a hole in my pocket

Verizon was nice enough to let me test out its new 3.2 mega pixel camera - the Samsung SCH-a990 that just came out this week. Yes that's right, a 3.2 mega pixel camera. That was the amount of mp's my first Sony digital camera had.

It is what I expected, a great camera. I forget it's a phone. I like how it has a built in cover to protect the camera when it's not in use. And above all, it is nice and compact. See the pics I took with it at the Consumer Blog. The only issue is that the camera can't handle a lot of movement - it will take a few seconds to adjust before capturing the image. Maybe a change in settings could fix this.

Not being a Verizon phone customer, I've never played around with the company's mobile web service. It's pretty fast. I am amazed at how quickly and clearly it can deliver video. The demos I've seen in the past from other companies weren't as clear or even really streaming for that matter. They might be better now.

Patrick Kimball, the PR rep, also showed me a test drive of the V CAST music service. We bought Nelly Furtado's new single - it got to the phone pretty fast. Unfortunately Verizon uses WMA so mp3's wouldn't do too much good on the built in mini SD. If this was my phone, I would be ripping CDs to WMA I guess.

Some might laugh at the next feature, but I found the built in tip calculator quite useful tonight at Cafe Rabelais. It was the wife's birthday. I'm sure some consumers might latch onto the VZ Navigator more than the tip calculator but I've never claimed to be representative of the masses. It's the simple things that can get me excited.

The rest of the review is at The Consumer Blog. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here