support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Avery Tomasco promoted to CBS Austin mornings


Avery Tomasco is the new CBS Austin News KEYE morning meteorologist, moving from weekend evenings.

Tomasco will be taking the place of meteorologist Nicole Hartford who is leaving for 11Alive WXIA Atlanta  and will hit the air there in February 2022.

RELATED
Avery Tomasco's baby announcement for the win!

Here is what Tomasco posted to Twitter:


"Life update and exciting news to share with you, friends... I have accepted a promotion to become the full-time morning meteorologist for CBS Austin News beginning next week (January 24th.) To say this is a dream come true would be an understatement... 

I grew up in Austin utterly fascinated by the weather. I’d fall asleep to “weather on the 8’s” as a kid, always glued to Mark Murray and Jim Spencer during every storm chance, running quickly from the TV to the back deck with my dad to observe and learn while monitoring my rinky-dink weather station I got for Christmas one year. I discovered quickly after my first internship that I wanted to be a morning meteorologist, and I wanted to do so in Austin... to finally be stepping into that role 10 years later is surreal and difficult to put into words.

I get to continue doing what I love, keeping you ahead of our wild Texas weather while (hopefully) teaching you something new along the way. I get to stay in Austin, raise my little girl in the town I grew up in surrounded by friends and family, and teach her all of the things that made me fall in love with meteorology to begin with. 

A huge thank you to my news director, Rob, and our general manager, Amy, for taking a chance on me four years ago and for taking another chance on me now. And thank YOU for coming along for this incredible ride. I truly have you, your trust, and your viewership to thank. I am beyond honored, and I can’t wait to get started!"


As he mentioned his Central Texas upbringing, the Houston born and Austin raised Tomasco attended Eanes Elementary, Hill Country middle school and Westlake High School.

While in school, Tomasco visited KEYE 42 Chief Meteorologist Troy Kimmel which drove his desire to forecast weather.

Before returning to Austin at KEYE, Tomasco was the morning meteorologist for KTAB/KRBC Abilene.

The Texas A&M University Bachelor of Science (BS) Meteorology grad interned across the street at FOX 7 Austin KTBC.

Tomasco, a self-described "true weather nerd" earned his Certified Broadcast Meteorologist designation from the American Meteorological Society right before joining CBS Austin.


CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here