support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Back From My Weekend Trip...Astros Still Struggling

First off, let me say that Kansas City was a nice change of pace from Houston. My girlfriend and I owed one of my best friends a return trip. He came down a couple of years ago and we treated him to a great time. I tried to keep up with the Astros but all I got was "Baseball Tonight" highlights on ESPN. I wasn't missing much...the bullpen is still in disarray and the fellas can't seem to get a clutch hit when men are in scoring position.

Kansas City is a great football town with a baseball problem. I might be biased because I'm a diehard Chiefs fan and have been to Arrowhead 15-20 times. (Can't wait for September 9th at Reliant!)

Talking to locals, I really feel for the Royals...my Astros hat sparked a few conversations. Talk about a team who just can't seem to catch a break. Johnny Damon, Jermaine Dye, Carlos Beltran...just think if the Royals would've held on to those guys?

If you ever do make the trek I highly recommend Gates BBQ and Arthur Bryant's BBQ. I've tried all the places people have mentioned here in Houston but no barbecue around these parts can hold a candle. Feel free to argue, but whens the last time you looked at a rack of ribs and they just fell off the bone? George Brett's on the Plaza is solid, too. I gained five freakin' pounds this weekend!

Now to the Astros and Brewers. Wandy Rodriguez stayed in one too many innings. I realize Luke Scott's error opened the flood gates in the sixth, but I could sense a beat down was on the horizon. I can't understand for the life of me why they even give Rick White a uniform. Someone needs to repo his clubhouse pass and gate card after the way he's performed since coming off the D.L. If I performed at work like that guy, I'd be looking for a new job. Phil Garner continues to plug him in but what choice does he have? Any of the middle relievers/closers are guaranteed to blow up.

Phil plays pitcher roulette betting everything on red...too bad he's landing on black. It's not just pitching, though. Hitters must put the ball in play. Carlos Lee and Luke Scott had good nights at the plate...that's it. I wonder if the team will start playing better once Craig Biggio eclipses 3,000?

I guess I do have something in common with Royals fans after all.

Michael Penix CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here